Monday, June 23, 2008

Sat 21/6

Hey, here I am again. Hadn't had the time to post till now. Anyhow, Sat was a great great great day! =)) We had the cycling event, followed by lunch, and service. Cycling was great, though the bike was terrible. Lunch was even better, we got to talk =) Service was the best, and the after-service was even even even better! =DD


A few of us stayed after service, I was debating if I should be on my way home, since it was way past 10pm. I wanted to stay, not only because of simin, but also because I thought the content of the talk was so good, I felt I had to stay. I wanted to stay and listen to Derrick, Calyn and Simin, their thoughts, opinions, lives etc. It was a wonderful time of fellowship, and real fellowship at that.

I guess that day was a day when I really got to know them, to see them for who they were, especially Simin and Derrick. You know Derrick is like, funny, wacko and all that, but his deep is like... really deep. It's comparable to the deep questions Huili would throw sometimes. -scary- Calyn and Derrick were talking about Minyi, this freshie, whom they had lunch with that day. They were discussing something about God, His existence and all that. I think someone said Minyi's issue is why she needs God in her life, as in, she doesn't know why, doesn't think she needs God in her life right now.

And.. my mouth just had to open and say, "Oh yeah, I thought of that too before coming to church." Right after that, Calyn had that evil glint (haha just kidding) in her eye, and out of her mouth came, "So do you know why?" Hmm, I sort of know, but not really. As in, it's a feeling that I couldn't explain, at that point of time. So I resolved to come back to this, and tucked it into the back of my head.

Slept on the way home, so couldn't think. But I think I sort of got my answer, as in, it's a personalised answer, for me. I think it would definitely be different for you guys.

While thinking about it, I could come up with all sorts of random answers, for instance, security, love, peace, joy, hope, forgiveness, etc. However, what I think is really the issue at hand when one encounters this question, is are you really satisfied with your life now? Are you fully peaceful and at rest with your heart and soul now? Are you able to maintain composure for most times, least to say at all times? Are you truly grateful and glad you're 'alive and well' in this world?

I guess it's really quite a self-centred question. It's like asking what do I get from acknowledging God. Likewise in business relations/transactions, CEOs/project managers would always ask, what do I get if I sponsor/oversee this project of yours? What do I stand to gain?

However, a relationship with God goes far far far beyond that. It goes beyond the boundaries of defining what you can get, what you stand to gain from, because what God can give you, is something that we can never foresee or measure. It is unthinkable, it is beyond our abilities.

I guess if someone asked me Minyi's question, I would shoot back "Why do you think you do not need God in your life?", then see what the reply would be. For myself, I decided to look to God for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I wanted to repent from my sinful ways; essentially, what I wanted was a U-turn in life. My second reason is that I wanted my innocence as a child back again. I wanted to be free. I wanted answers, guidance, truth, in my walk in life. I wanted to know more, beyond this world; I wanted to know if there was more to life than what I had experienced or heard.

I got more than what I asked for. Along the way, I picked up a peace of mind, restfulness, love, joy, forgiveness, patience, truth, perseverence, and much much more - all these are invaluable. I made a handful of friends who truly care, a bunch of like-minded peeps, who really love each other and care for one another - priceless. I gained a Shepherd, a Teacher, Father etc, one whom I could look up to and at, at any point of time - that's truly amazing. He's not afraid to rebuke me, guides me to the Truth, shows me the Way when I'm lost, and gives me Life. =)

Basically, my answer to Minyi's question can be better expressed in the song by Hillsong, How could I live, one of my favourite songs. =)

Oh! Haha I don't know if this is like imagination of mine that's working overtime, but I was listening to Lincoln Brewster's Lord I lift Your Name on High, and I was tracing Jesus' route from Heaven to earth to the cross (on a hill), to the grave and back to Heaven, and I realised it forms a 'W'! Haha so cool.

Yeep! I'm off, it's going to be a busy busy busy week! =) See you guys tmr! =)

2 comments:

huili said...

"However, a relationship with God goes far far far beyond that. It goes beyond the boundaries of defining what you can get, what you stand to gain from, because what God can give you, is something that we can never foresee or measure. It is unthinkable, it is beyond our abilities."

Nice one, I like how u said that. :) And I so totally agree..many times people, even ourselves wonder this question..so what exactly do i get out of this THING? is it worth it? esp when it involves me of my time, efforts, even money and my other desires..is it worth it to give to God and follow Him? If i dont get anything then forget it man..

I thought about how Jesus gave us His life..How He's willing to pay the price of our sins..How He loved us despite our sinfulness and wilfulness..it's amazing to realise that Christianity in its essence is what God gave us, not what God can give us..

petrina said...

hey sis, really encouraged by your post and to see your reflections. think recently u ve been thinking much more and making sense of your life more.

As you continue to follow God, God will reveal to ya much more (regarding yourself,ppl, God and even the world). Glad to see ya taking your life and God seriously and also desiring to seek Him more and more and also His kingdom and righteousness too.

Dear sis, jia you k :)Just wanna add one thing to what u shared in your post. "We can never outgive GOD!" Realised this truth this yr and it really struck me. Nobody can ever outgive GOD, no matter how much we feel we ve given or sacrificed, nobody can ever ever ever outgive GOD!!! hahaha :) Cause He was the one who loved us first, who demostrate to us His love first so that we can love.

Dear sis, continue to chase after God and things that matter to Him for the things of this world ll eventually fade but what ll remain for eternally is our relationship with Him and the many souls that u r going to bring to know GOD.