Thursday, October 25, 2007

M&M #2

2weeks ago, we heard the sermon about the truths and myths that we believe in our lives. Though sometimes we may unconsciously and subtly believe in some of the myths not of God, it is important to recognise that Jesus is the only way, the truth and the life. The one way that we can grow is really learning from the Word of God. Let the Spirit guide and teach us in all truths and understanding as we meditate upon God's words.

Let us pray that we may learn to grow in obedience and understanding of His Words as we embark 0n this journey of M&M (memorising and meditating)

"Show me your ways, O LORD, teach me your paths;

guide me in your truth and teach me,

for you are God my Savior,

and my hope is in you all day long. " (Pslams 25:4-5)

===================================================================

Love

1 Corinthians 13:4-7

Love is patient, love is kind.

It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.

It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.

It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Some questions and food for thought as we meditate upon the verse:

- What does it mean to say "love rejoices with the truth"?

- Are there times when God Himself first demonstrated such love for us? (Can be from personal experiences or from the examples of the Bible, e.g. Jesus dying on the cross)

- Who are the people whom I think I love in my life? Why do I love them? How am I loving them in the way that God intended it to be?

-Who are the people (or what kind of people, e.g. of certain character traits or personality, maybe) whom I can't bring myself to love in the way that is mentioned? Why?

- Which aspect of love that I struggle and find most difficult in? Why? How can I grow in it?

Let's post our responses and thoughts online, if not we'll find the chance to share in the next QT. :) (note: u may choose not to mention names, let's be sensitive to others even as we share openly)

Huili

2 comments:

hUiLi said...

Amen! :) Last sermon was a great reminder for me to grow in the area of love, just as what the M&M verse was about, the meaning of true love. For quite a long time, I would say, I haven been praying consistently about this area of my life, to be growing in capacity to love. I remembered how I used to pray for God to change this area of my life so fervently every single night when I was a very young believer, struggling to relate with the many people around me. It's really difficult to love unconditionally as God did, not judging others, not exhalting myself, not being critical, but just loving people as God did for EVERYONE, big, small, cute or not. But I'm proud to say that I'm still a "work-under progress"!! thanks to God's love and grace! :)
thank you God!!

ah_rUi said...

Mmmm... i thought the sermon came at the right time for me. Recently i has been really reading up on the repealing of the Penal Code section 377A. I read every newspaper i can find on that topic, even downloaded the mp3 file of a speech of a MP, Prof Thio, who supported the retaining of the 377A. My intention was to get informed and ready to give a view point as a Christian, should my friends raise this issue to me. I realised that on top of having knowledge and wisdom, on top of being able to see what is right what is wrong in God's eyes, I must also understand that I have to accept those people just as how God accepts us, while we are sinners. God's love is for everyone, everyone, even to people who are still far away from Him. "Love the sinner, hate the sin"